Knowing very little about how internet businesses work, I begin a quest to buy/start one. This blog tracks any research that I conduct, or any interesting material that I may come across.

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

If it is your mission to run a business online, you have to know a little bit about Search Engine Optimization (SEO). That is my theory at least. How else would you know if a target business is sustainable, and solid? So today I did a little research about SEO, and this is what I found.

This page has a good article about where to start. Apparently key word research is the um...  key here. It is important to find out what key words are getting searched, and how relevant they are to your business. It is also important to know what sort of competition there is in that word.

I learned an important concept here. It has to do with "marginal cost versus marginal benefit". The cost is what you page a search engine to bring people to your site based on a click, and the benefit is the average profit you make when that person hits your site. So for example, Google charges you 50c per click for a given word, and you get 1000 clicks from that particular word. If the profit from people who find your website through that word  is greater than $500 you should keep the campaign. Simple really.

This has raised a few questions for my amateur brain though. Firstly, how do you tell Google that you are willing to pay 50c a click. Secondly, how do you know if a person came to your site through searching for that word? Thirdly, what the hell is an adword campaign anyway, and how do I get started? And isn't there a way of getting exposure without paying for ads?

Hmm... lets investigate this some more.

Other sites I came accross which I found to be useful:

Webceo

No comments:

Post a Comment